Let’s learn Prepositions Exercises with Answers!
1. Trees are very useful (a) ____ man. They are highly essential (b) ____ our existence. They protect the rich topsoil (c) ____ getting washed away (d) ____ rainwater and floods. We can see trees being grown along the mountain slopes, (e) ____ the roadsides, (f) ____ the parks and gardens. They add beauty (g) ____ our lives. They provide us (h) ____ food, wood, shade, shelter, and so on. They take (i) ____ carbon-di-oxide to produce oxygen. So we should take care (j) ____ trees.
Answer:(a ) to(b)for (c)from (d)by (e)by (f)in (g)to (h)with (i)in ( j)of
2.Do you have any idea (a) ____ a cyber café? It is a place teeming (b) ____ information. It is a network (c) ____ all networks. It is a place (d) ____ computers (e) ____ which customers can use the internet and send e-mails and so on. A cyber café is closely associated (f) ____ internet communication system. A customer sitting (g) ____ the café can communication (h) ____ people (i) ____ the world. In fact, a cyber café is not prejudicial (j) ____ our development.
Answer: (a ) of(b)with (c)of (d)with (e)at (f)with (g)in (h)with (i)around ( j)against
3. The environment plays an important role (a) ____ our life. (b) ____ short, what we have (c) ____ us including people, houses, air, water, etc. is called environment. These are the main elements (d) ____ our environment. (e) ____ ensuring sound life the balance (f) ____ the natural elements are very significant. Sometimes (g) ____ lack of knowledge, we don’t realize the importance (h) ____ it. As a result, we are polluting our environment unknowingly. Living (i) ____ a polluted environment is undoubtedly a matter (j) ____ great regret.
Answer: (a ) in(b)in (c)around (d)of (e)for (f)among (g)for (h)of (i)in ( j)of
4. Ours is a riverine country. Rivers are everywhere (a) ____ our life literature, economy, and culture. But are the rivers (b) ____ good shape? Unfortunately, they are not. A few are already dead and several are going (c) ____ the pangs of death. The river Buriganga is an example (d) ____ a dying river. A report published in ‘The Daily Sun’ describes what has happened (e) ____ the river Buriganga and why. Its water is polluted and a perpetual stench fills the air (f) ___ it. The report says that the river had a glorious past. Once it was a tributary (g) ___ the Ganges and flowed (h) ____ the Bay of Bengal (i) ____ the river Dhaleswari. Gradually, it lost its link (j) ____ the Ganges and got the name Buriganga.
Answer: (a )in (b)in (c)through (d)of (e)to (f)around (g)of (h)into (i)through ( j)with
5. It would be impossible (a) ____ us to continue living in this world if each of us knew exactly what fate had (b) ____ store for us. So, Allah in His mercy conceals the future (c) ____ all His creatures and reveals only the present. He hides from the animals what men know and He hides from men what the angels know. For example, if a lamb had a reason (d) ____ a man, it could not gamble happily knowing it was destined to be killed (e) ____ human food. But, being quite ignorant. (f) ____ its fate, it is happy to the last minute of its short life contentedly grazing (g) ____ the flowery meadow, and even in its innocence licks the hands (h) ____ the butcher who is about to slaughter it. What a blessing it is that we are ignorant (i) ____ the future! Allah, to whom the death of a sparrow is of equal importance with the death of a hero, has in His mercy, thus limited our knowledge so that we might fulfill our duty in the sphere (j) ____ which He has appointed us.
Answer: (a ) for(b)in (c)of (d)like (e)for (f)of (g)on (h)of (i)of ( j)for
6. We got our freedom (a) ____ the sacrifice of hundreds and thousands (b) ____ lives. The patriots (c) ____ our land fought (d) ____ the oppression of the west Pakistani rules. Finally, the oppressors were bound to surrender (e) ____ our freedom fighters. But a great number (f) ____ the sons of the land died (g) ____ the war. Soon (h) ____ the war, the government (i) ____ Bangladesh founded the National Memorial (j) ____ memory of the martyrs.
Answer: (a ) at(b)of (c)of (d)against (e)to (f)of (g)in (h)after (i)of ( j)in
7. Syed Shamsul Haq, a legendary litterateur, was born in kurigram (a) ____ 1935. He received the Bangla Academy Award (b) ____ the age of twenty-nine. It is noteworthy that he was the youngest (c) ____ all who got the Bangla Academy Award. He was awarded the Swadhinata Padak in 2000 (d) ____ his contributions (e) ____ Bangla literature. His literary works are included (f) ____ the curricula of secondary, higher secondary, and graduation level (g) ____ Bangladesh. Syed Haq who is a member (i) ____ the Royal College of Psychiatrists in London. This renowned intellectual passed away (j) ____ September in 2016 at the age of 81.
Answer: (a )in (b)at (c)of (d)for (e)in (f)in (g)of (h)to (i)of ( j) on
8. I caught sight (a) ____ him while crossing the road. I tried to talk (b) ____ him. But he was (c) ____ a hurry. He was one (d) ____ my best friends. Both of us studied (e) ____ the same school. I had an intimacy (f) ____ him. Both of us got separated (g) ____ each other after the completion (h) ____ SSC Examination. Though my heart bleeds (i) ____ him, I hardly meet (j) ____ him. This is the go of the world.
Answer: (a )of (b)to (c)in (d)of (e)in (f)with (g)from (h)of (i) for( j)with
9. I am glad to receive your letter. You have wanted to know (a) ____ the picnic that we made. I am now writing (b) ____ you about it. It was winter vacation. Our college was closed. I (c) ____ some of my friends arranged the picnic. We selected Sonargaon (d) ____ the picnic spot. It is some twenty miles from Dhaka. We got (e) ____ the bus (f) ____ about 9 am (g) ____ all necessary utensils and materials. (h) ____ reaching Sonargaon, we finished our breakfast (i) ____ about 9:30 am. We did not take any cook (j) ____ us.
Answer: (a )about (b)to (c)with (d)for (e)on (f)at (g)with (h)after (i)at ( j)with
10. Badal lived (a) ____ a village of Bangladesh. He was a schoolboy. There was a canal (b) ____ his way (c) ____ school. An old bridge was (d) ____ that canal. It was useful to one and all of the villagers. Yet none cared (e) ____ its repair. So one day it broke (f) ____ and caused a good deal (g) ____ hardship to the villagers. They were (h) ____ difficulty. They could not go to the town (i) ____ the other side of the canal to sell their fruits and vegetables profitably. They sold their production (j) ____ local market at a nominal price.
Answer: (a ) in(b)on (c)to (d)over (e)for (f)down (g)of (h)in (i)on ( j) in
11. A good stock (a) ____ words is necessary (b) ____ anybody who wants to use a language. Vocabulary is an essential component (c) ____ successful communication. It is an integral part (d) ____ reading skill. While grammar is important, a lack (e) ____ vocabulary may result (f) ____ complete failure to convey a message. Vocabulary includes conceptual knowledge (g) ____ words that go well (h) ____ an ordinary dictionary meaning. Students’ vocabulary knowledge is a building process that occurs (i) ____ time as they tend to make connections (j) ____ other words.
Answer: (a ) of(b)for (c)of (d)of (e)of (f)in (g)of (h)with (i)in ( j) to
12. Once an English and a Bengali gentleman were traveling (a) ____ the same train and they were in the same compartment. The Englishman was very proud (b) _____ himself because he was an Englishman. He looked (c) ____ upon the Bengali gentleman who, however, took no notice (d) ____ it and went to sleep (e) ____ peace. As soon as the Bengali gentleman was asleep, the Englishman picked (f) ____ the gentleman’s shoes and threw them (g) ____ the window and went to sleep. When the Bengali gentlemen woke up, he looked for his shoes and understood it. Then he took the Englishman’s long coat (h) ____ the wall and threw it outside the window and returned (i) ____ bed laughingly. The next morning the Englishman became startled and shouted, “Where’s my coat gone? Your coat has gone to fetch my shoes,” said the gentlemen (j) ____ a smile. The Bengali gentleman was Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee.
Answer: (a )by (b)of (c)down (d)of (e)in (f)up (g)outside (h)from (i)to ( j)with
13. A teacher is an architect (a) ____ a nation. He plays an important role (b) ____ building up an educated nation. He dispels the darkness (c) ____ ignorance (d) ____ the lot of a nation. He is an actor, so to speak. He has to suit his act according (e) ____ the need of his audience which is his class. He is a clear speaker (f) ____ good, strong, and pleasing voice which is (g) ____ his control. He does not sit motionless (h) ____ his class. Everybody has something valuable (i) ____ him. A good teacher discovers the treasure hidden inside each student. He also wants the students to be happy and for this, he keeps them busy. A good teacher never hankers (j) ____ money.
Answer: (a )of (b)in (c)of (d)from (e)to (f)with (g)under (h)before (i)in ( j)after
14. A good student is never indifferent (a) ____ his studies. He always adheres (b) ____ his studies. He does not learn things (c) ____ rote. He does not hunt (d) ____ traditional guide books. Moreover, he has a great thirst (e) ____ knowledge. For this, he does not confine himself (f) ____ the traditional studies. He is always aware (g) ____ the current affairs (h) ____ the world. He abides (i) ____ his teachers’ advice and jots (j) ____ their lectures.
Answer: (a ) to(b)to (c)by (d)for (e)for (f)to (g)of (h)of (i)by ( j)down
15. Flowers are an excellent gift of nature. They have existed (a) ____ the earth (b) ____ prehistoric time. Since then they have been treated (c) ____ the symbol of beauty. It is an undeniable fact that flowers are used (d) ____ various spheres (e) ____ our life. It is used mostly (f) ____ decoration. People (g) ____ all walks of life use flowers usually (h) ____ national occasion and (i) ____ wedding. Everyone prefers flowers (j) ____ expressing their love and devotion.
Answer: (a ) on(b)from (c)as (d)in (e)of (f) for (g)from (h)on (i)in ( j)for
16. The science fair held (a) ___ our college paved a new way for us to gather practical knowledge. Many of our friends took part (b) ____ the fair (c) ____ their projects. We showed genuine interest (d) ____ them. Most of the projects were made (e) ____ consistence (f) ____ the prevailing world situation. They were intended (g) ____ acquaint us (h) ____ the solutions (i) ____ some common problems we are facing especially in regard to the environment we live in. We were sanguine (j) ____ achieving success and we really achieved it.
Answer: (a )in (b)in (c)with (d)in (e)in (f)with (g)to (h)with (i)to ( j)about
17. During the holidays when my mother went to sleep (a) ____ noon, we went to the railway line. There, along with other children I watched how the trains passed (b) ____ innumerable unknown facts. My father got an appointment (c) ____ a town school and he moved (d) ____ the town immediately (e) ____ my father’s school. I felt that my school fellows had no feeling (f) ____ one another as we had in the village. However, I gradually adjusted myself (g) ____ town life. I am happy with my new friends but my heart aches (h) ____ the happy childhood days. Childhood is free (i) ____ worries and has an infinite capacity (j) ____ enjoyment.
Answer: (a )at (b)on (c)at (d)to (e)into (f)about (g)to (h)for (i)from ( j)for
18. Greenhouse effect is the gradual warming (a) ____ the air surrounding the earth as a result of heat being trapped (b) ____ environment pollution. This is exemplified (c) ____ the destruction and burning (d) ____ of tropical rain forests, (e) ____ traffic that clogs (f) ____ city streets, (g) ____ the rapid growth of industry, the use of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) (h) ____ packaging and manufacturing commercial products, the use of detergents like washing (i) ____ liquids and so (j) ____.
Answer: (a ) of(b)by (c)by (d)down (e)by (f)up (g)by (h)in (i)up ( j) on
19. Patriotism is great quality (a) ____ human being. It creates (b) ____ a man true love (c) ____ his motherland. Patriotism is older than civilization. The man who loves his own country does his duties and works (d) ____ the welfare (e) ____ his country is a patriot. Even the ancient tribes had a fondness (f) ____ the place where they were born and sacrificed their lives to save them. A student, an artist, or a politician may be a patriot (g) ____ usual way (h) ____ life. If he does his duties honestly and sincerely (i) ____ his own field, he can be a patriot, If he does not do so, he will be a traitor. We must not have hatred or bitterness (j) ____ anyone. But chauvinist patriotism is very bad.
Answer: (a ) of(b)in (c)for (d)for (e)of (f) for (g)in (h)of (i)in ( j)for
20. The cyber café is a place teeming (a) ____ information. It is a network (b) ____ all networks. It is a place (c) ____ computers (d) ____ which customers can use the internet associated (e) ____ internet communication system. A customer sitting (f) ____ the café can communicate (g) ____ people (h) ____ the world. In fact, it is not prejudicial (i) ____ our development and essential (j) ____ easier communication.
Answer: (a ) with(b)of (c)with (d)by (e)with (f)in (g)with (h)around (i)to ( j) for
21. The Nobel Prize is the most prestigious prize (a) ____ the world. The prize is awarded (b) ____ the persons (c) ____ outstanding contribution (d) ____ specific six fields. Economics was included (e) ____ the list in 1969 (f) ____ the first time. One prize is awarded (g) ____ each field. But, if there is more than one recipient (h) ____ the prize (i) ____ one field, the prize money is equally distributed (j) ____ all the winners.
Answer: (a ) in(b)to (c)for (d)in (e)in (f)for (g)in (h)for (i)in ( j) among
22. A good student never learns things (a) ____ rote. He is very cautious (b) ____ his studies and always adheres (c) ____ his lessons and texts. He does not learn (d) ____ traditional guide books. He prepares notes (e) ____ taking help (f) ____ his teachers. He abides (g) ____ his teachers’ advice and jots (h) ____ their lectures. He makes the best use (i) _____ his time and concentrate (j) ____ his studies according to his daily routine.
Answer: (a ) by(b)about (c)to (d)from (e)by (f)from (g)by (h)down (i)of ( j) on
23. The food we eat seems to have profound effects (a) _____ our health. Although science has made enormous steps (b) ____ making food more fit to eat, it has (c) ____ the same time made many foods unfit to eat. Some research has shown that eighty percent (d) ____ all human diseases are related (e) ____ diet. People (f) ____ different culture are more prone (g) ____ contact certain illness because (h) ____ the characteristics (i) ____ the foods they consume. So we should give (j) ____ the habit of taking bad foods.
Answer: (a ) on(b)in (c)at (d)of (e)to (f)of (g)to (h)of (i)of ( j) up
24. I’d like (a) ____ let you know the importance of tourism. Man often takes a ride (b) ____ various types of transports (c) ____ having any pressing business to attend (d) ____. Being weary of the strains and stresses (e) ____ modern life, he, (f) ____ times, wants to get (g) ____ from them (h) ____ a few days. Man makes a tour just for pleasure too. If anybody does so we call him a tourist. But the place he goes (i) ____ must abound (j) ____ such comforts and pleasures as would make him really happy. No more today.
Answer: (a ) to(b)on (c)for (d)to (e)of (f)at (g)away (h)for (i)two ( j)with
25. Man abides (a) ____ society. So he has to abide (b) ____ the social rules. He cannot do anything in accordance (c) ____ his sweet will. He is to show respect (d) ____ other’s life and property. He cannot go (e) ____ social rules. He cannot be indifferent (f) ____ other’s interest. He is to take other’s matter (g) ____ account. Since he has to take other’s help, he has to depend (h) ____ other. If he stands (i) ____ others, Allah will abide (j) ____ him.
Answer: (a ) in(b)by (c)with (d)to (e)against (f) to (g)in (h) on(i) by ( j) with
Your letter is just (a) ____ hand. I am (b) ____ myself (c) ____ joy learning that you have cut a good figure in the admission test. I know that you have longed (d) ____ studying a good subject (e) ____ a renowned university. A good university is a university equipped (f) ____ a bunch of good teachers who will provide you (g) ____ quality education and at the same time instill (h) ____ you a spirit that will shape your personality (i) ____ an admirable level. Probably you are (j) ____ the threshold of the fulfillment of your dream.
Answer: (a ) to(b)by (c)in (d)for (e)in (f)with (g)with (h)in (i)to ( j)on
27.The Freedom Fighters are the pride of the nation. In 1971, many of these great sons (a) ____ the soil sacrificed their lives (b) ____ the cause of the country and the countrymen. They were so deeply devoted (c) ____ the war of liberation that they had no time to complain (d) ____ the odds they had to go (e) ____. They are the martyrs. Death is a must (f) ____ all. Everyone has to yield (g) ____ death. Man may die (h) ____ a disease or (i) ____ an accident. He may also die (j) ____ overworking. But martyrdom differs from these types of ordinary death.
Answer: (a ) of(b)for (c)to (d)against (e)through (f)for (g)to (h)of (i)by ( j)from
28. Patriotism is the quality inherent (a) ____ man. He feels a natural attachment (b) ____ his motherland. It is essential (c) ____ the progress of a country. The patriotic people are noted (d) ____ their patriotic zeal. They are different (e) ____ other people. Their memories don’t sink (f) ____ oblivion. They are worthy (g) ____ praise. They lay (h) ____ their lives for the good of the country. They are aware (i) ____ their position in society. They are celebrated all (j) _____ the world.
Answer: (a )in (b)to (c)for (d)for (e)from (f)into (g)of (h)down (i)of ( j)over
29. Communicative language teaching requires students’ active involvement (a) ____ developing skill, but here it is absent (b) ____ the classroom. The learners want to study (c) ____ the cause (d) ____ examination preparation. The teachers (e) ____ the classroom are also (f) ____ favour (g) ___ it. They talk (h) ____ the examination and teach them how (i) ____ prepare (j) ____ the test. Eventually, it cannot help the students acquire language skills.
Answer: (a ) in(b)from (c)for (d)of (e)in (f)in (g)of (h)about (i)to ( j)for
30. The boy is proud (a) ____ his talents. But none should take pride (b) ____ his talents. Pride results (c) ____ misery. Those who have prided themselves (d) ____ their talents have been subjected (e) ____ humiliation. A proud man has to feel sorry (f) ____ his pride. Also, he has to atone (g) ____ his pride. A proud man should apologize (h) ____ his pride. He is not acceptable (i) ____ anyone. He is not useful (j) ____ the society.
Answer: (a ) of(b) in(c)in (d)in (e)to (f)for (g)for (h)for (i)to ( j)to
31. During the last four years, several devastating cyclones swept (a) ___ Bangladesh and caused immense harm (b) ____ the people. A cyclone may occur at any time and (c) ____ any place. The cyclone of Bangladesh generally originates (d) ____ the Bay of Bengal, and blows (e) ____ the land. It is often accompanied (f) ____ thunders and heavy showers. Before a cyclone commences unbearable heat is felt (g) ____ a few days. Then suddenly one day the sky becomes terribly dark (h) ____ clouds and strong winds begin to blow with flashes (i) ____ lightning and the rumbling of thunders It causes great havoc. A lot of people and other animals die. Dwelling houses are blown (j) ____.
Answer: (a ) over(b) to (c)at (d)from (e)across (f)by (g)for (h)with (i)of ( j) away